Sunday, May 27, 2012

Married? Ha. That's a good one.

No, I'm not talking bitter resentment for being single. In fact, I am quite attached to my independence. No, I'm talking the awkward moment when your sitting at a picnic with mostly people you are distantly related to you through marriage and one of them walks up to you as you're eating your memorial day cake and asks, "are you married?"

[pause, look at parents sitting across the picnic table] "...No."

"Will you get married some day?"

"Maybe. I haven't been able to see that far into the future yet."

[uneasy laughter.]

Oh, now I understand why people don't take me places. My sarcasm can get a bit overboard at times. I think my callous humor may have been caused by the fact that progress on finishing both my slice of cake and the chapter I was reading was unexpectedly interrupted. I meant no offense and certainly hope I didn't cause any, but anyone who knows an avid reader and food lover such as myself (or really, just knows me), knows that if you interrupt me while I'm reading or eating cake, you do so at your own risk.

And I wonder why people say I'm going to be a cat lady when I grow up... [sigh.]

No comments:

Post a Comment