Monday, May 28, 2012

Successful Post-Injury Interval Training!

Today, I finally pulled the laces of my running sneakers back into secure knots and made the plunge back into the routine. It was a little frustrating having to start back at the beginning of my 5K interval training, but I feel great having done it. I'm going to take it a little slower than last time, probably because of my paranoia over my knee popping again and being in pain for another two weeks (don't worry, doctors were consulted). With my lucky (stable) knee brace, I ran today. That feels good. 

I'm trying not to dwell on the fact that a few short weeks ago, I was up to 5mph on the treadmill during my running intervals and today I did a mere 4, feeling out my healed injury and keeping my breathing in check (a trick I've picked up from yoga). I tell you, the running intervals go so much faster when you've got your music blaring in the background and an internal voice going "nose in, mouth out" the whole time. Granted, they may seem faster too, because the last time my intervals were much longer before my injury. Oh well, it feels good to be active again. Maybe if I was more adventurous (or less afraid of heat exhaustion) I would run outside in the warm weather, but I think I'll wait until I'm back in the swing of things to toe that line. 

Anyways, small mole hill surmounted today. Now time to shower the sweat away. 

P.S. I hate the unsteady feeling of getting off the treadmill when you've just completed a run. It makes me feel like I should have just finished a fishing trip or something. Oh well. Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment