Friday, May 18, 2012

Newsworthy

First and foremost (even though this is now old news), I need to address how monumentally proud I am to have voted for President Barack Obama in the last presidential election. While I have not agreed with everything he and the government have done during his tenure, his public support of loving relationships, whether they be between a man and woman, two women, or two men, was truly a momentous occasion. I was raised to love and cherish all people, even when it's difficult, but I know not everyone shares my views on the subject. Affirming that same-sex marriages should be legal was a big risk for him as a politician and candidate for re-election as president. As long as it is a true measure of how he feels towards the issue, I applaud him. You can hear his statement on NPR.
As a Connecticut resident and prospective teacher, what concerns me in politics is this Education bill that Governor Malloy just passed. The bill is daunting at best, and filled with lawyer speak that this humble English major definitely struggles with. I am still attempting to sift through the information I can gather about this particular piece of legislation that will affect my career in the future. If anyone has thoughts about this, please comment, because honestly my head is still spinning and I don't think I can intelligently comment on this until I can ground myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment